Personal Injury Lawyer
Personal injury refers to a group of accidents and events that can lead to injuries, damage to physical property, and the death of a loved one. After you are hurt or suffer some type of loss from an accident, or due to the negligence of another person, you are entitled to file a civil suit known as a personal injury claim. This claim seeks compensation for your loss as well as for your pain and suffering. Many personal injury claims are settled in negotiations with the other side’s insurance company, but in some instances, the claim goes to trial and is resolved by a judge or by a jury.
Common Types of Personal Injury
There are many different types of personal injury claims, but some of the most common include:
- Car Accidents – Car accidents can occur for many different reasons, but some of the most common causes include speeding, driver distraction and following too closely, which results in rear-end crashes.
- Medical Malpractice – You can sue doctors and caregivers who are negligent or careless and do not meet the standard of reasonable care. Some examples of malpractice include wrong site surgery in which surgeons operate on the wrong side of a patient’s body, surgeons leaving instruments inside a patient’s body, failure of a doctor to properly diagnose an illness, and a doctor prescribing the wrong medication.
- Nursing Home Abuse – Elderly residents at nursing homes are often vulnerable because they are physically weak and many have mental illnesses such as Alzheimer’s. Nursing home residents that are physically and emotionally abused or neglected by caregivers are entitled to file a legal claim to hold the facility accountable.
- Wrongful Death – If a third party is responsible for the death of your loved one through an intentional act, you can file a wrongful death claim. For example, if a defendant is acquitted of the murder of someone you love, you can file a wrongful death suit against that person. The most famous example of a successful wrongful death claim was the verdict against former football star O.J. Simpson who was found liable for the deaths of his former wife Nicole Brown and her friend Ron Goldman.
- Product Liability – We rely on products to be safe and to work properly, but that doesn’t always happen. When a product defect causes injury or damage, you can sue the manufacturer for making a product that caused an unreasonable danger to a consumer.
- Premises Liability – When you go to a public property such as a workplace or a restaurant, the property owner is required to keep that facility in safe condition for the protection of all guests. If you fall on a slippery floor, or a falling object hits you, you can sue based on the theory that the property owner did not exercise the duty of care to prevent your injury.
The Importance of a Personal Injury Attorney
Regardless of your injury or loss, your wellbeing and peace of mind are the most important things when it comes to handling your claim. Please contact the Law Offices of Duane O. King, and find out how we can help you during this difficult time.