Washington DC Personal Injury Lawyer
Personal injury refers to a group of accidents and events that can lead to injuries, damage to physical property, and the death of a loved one. After you are hurt or suffer some type of loss from an accident, or due to the negligence of another person, you are entitled to file a civil suit known as a personal injury claim. This claim seeks compensation for your loss as well as for your pain and suffering. Many personal injury claims are settled in negotiations with the other side’s insurance company, but in some instances, the claim goes to trial and is resolved by a judge or by a jury.
Common Types of Personal Injury
There are many different types of personal injury claims, but some of the most common include:
- Car Accidents: Car accidents can occur for many different reasons, but some of the most common causes include speeding, driver distraction, and following too closely, which results in rear-end crashes.
- Catastrophic Injury: If you were involved in an accident that leaves you seriously injured, this is considered a catastrophic injury. These types of injuries usually result in harm to the brain or spinal cord, which can cause short term or long term affects on the individual’s functioning capabilities.
- Motorcycle Accidents: These types of accidents are more likely to result in serious injury or death than other types of motor vehicle accidents. Head-on collisions, left-hand turns, and lane splitting are the most common causes of motorcycle accidents. A motorcycle requires proper training before handling as it can be extremely dangerous to operate. Risks such as less visibility and road hazards prove dangerous for motorcycle drivers.
- Pedestrian Accidents: Walking and running have become popular activities for individuals who want to improve their health and well-being. Unfortunately, this popular hobby can lead to serious injury or death if an accident occurs. Common causes of pedestrian accidents by road vehicles include distracted driving, speeding, drunk driving, and failing to yield.
- Premises Liability: When you go to public property such as a workplace or a restaurant, the property owner is required to keep that facility in a safe condition for the protection of all guests. If you fall on a slippery floor, or a falling object hits you, you can sue based on the theory that the property owner did not exercise the duty of care to prevent your injury.
- Slip and Fall Accidents: This specific personal injury case involves an individual who falls on someone else’s property. The property owner may be held accountable for the accident that occurred on their premises. To prove a slip and fall case, the victim must verify that the accident was due to a dangerous condition that the owner was aware of but neglected to fix. Otherwise, it can be difficult to place blame on the property owner.
- Truck Accidents: Individuals that are involved in a truck accident are vulnerable to devastating injuries or death. Driver error is the main cause of truck accidents, which include speeding, fatigue, and driver impairment.
- Wrongful Death – If a third party is responsible for the death of your loved one through an intentional act, you can file a wrongful death claim. For example, if a defendant is acquitted of the murder of someone you love, you can file a wrongful death suit against that person. The most famous example of a successful wrongful death claim was the verdict against former football star O.J. Simpson who was found liable for the deaths of his former wife Nicole Brown and her friend Ron Goldman.
Contact Washington, DC Personal Injury Lawyers at the Law Offices of Duane O. King
Regardless of your injury or loss, your wellbeing and peace of mind are the most important things when it comes to handling your claim. The personal injury attorneys at the Law Offices of Duane O. King are here to help provide you with legal assistance during this difficult time. Please contact us online today or call 202-331-1963 to schedule a free legal consultation.