Insurance Companies Deny Claims
After getting into a car accident, it is normal to assume that an insurance company will compensate for your injuries, however, that is not always the case. Insurance companies will come up with several excuses not to pay you, and when this happens, you may need to contact a car accident lawyer. Common reasons why insurance companies deny claims include the following:
- The accident was avoidable. If an accident was avoidable, or if you did something to cause the accident, an insurance company may deny your claim.
- You made a statement to the negligent party’s insurance company. Making a statement to an insurance company is a common mistake and can give the insurance company a reason to deny your claim. It is best to hold off speaking to anyone until you speak to a car accident lawyer.
- You did not make a complaint or receive medical treatment at the time of the injury. If you fail to make a complaint or receive medical treatment, an insurance company may argue that your injuries were not a result of the accident. That is why it is important to receive medical treatment as soon as possible. Having medical documentation related to your injuries can make your case stronger and gives you a better chance of receiving compensation for your injuries.
- No independent witnesses. If there were no witnesses, an insurance company can argue that the accident never happened and if it did, it was your fault. Independent witnesses do not include individuals inside the car with you at the time of the accident.
- Pre-existing conditions. If you have a pre-existing condition, an insurance company can argue that it is your pre-existing condition causing you pain and suffering, and not the accident. It can be difficult to prove that the accident made your condition worse.
- No police report. It is important to make sure that the responding officer writes a police report. Officers do not always write police reports, especially if there was minor damage and no injuries involved.
Causes of Car Accidents
There are many causes for car accidents and many of them are due to driver negligence, which includes texting, eating and drinking, looking toward the backseat or toward the side of the road, and putting on makeup. Other causes include:
- Potholes and/or cracks in the road
- Wet or slippery road conditions
- Construction debris on the road
- Confusing street signs
DC Car Accident Lawyers at the Law Offices of Duane O. King Represent Individuals Injured in Car Accidents
If you were injured in a car accident and the insurance company denied your claim, contact a DC car accident lawyer at the Law Offices of Duane O. King. Our experienced lawyers will fight for your rights and obtain the compensation you deserve for your injuries. For a free consultation, contact us online or call us at 202-331-1963. Located in Washington D.C., we proudly serve clients throughout DC and Maryland.