What Is the Importance of Regular Car Maintenance?
From drowsy driving to alcohol or substance abuse, car accidents happen for many reasons. However, correctly maintaining your vehicle is one way to reduce the chances of a car accident. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that about 20 percent of all traffic accidents in the country happen because of poor vehicle maintenance.
Improper vehicle maintenance, or lack thereof, can make a car unsafe to drive and a danger to not only the driver but also their passengers and other drivers. Here are some reasons why performing regular maintenance on your car is essential:
- Increases safety: Worn-out brakes, tire blowouts, and leaking fluids are just a few of the many problems you face when you do not maintain your vehicle regularly. When your vehicle suffers a malfunction or broken part, driving becomes unsafe as the driver has a greater chance of losing control of the vehicle. Maintaining your car prevents breakdowns from happening.
- Keeps the vehicle operating optimally: When you maintain your car regularly, you optimize its performance and safety. Better tire traction, better-stopping power, and better handling can all be achieved when you have regular vehicle check-ups and replace parts before they fail. Maintaining your vehicle consistently helps extend the life of some parts of your car, like tires and brakes, and it can also prevent more expensive issues from arising. Most of the time, it is better to spend a little bit of money now on vehicle maintenance instead of waiting for a part to fail completely, costing you much more money later.
- Vehicle maintenance can also lower the cost of gas: Maintaining your car keeps the engine and associated parts running efficiently, saving you fuel. Low tire pressure or worn-out tires, longer brake times, and even an engine working harder because of poor oil quality can all contribute to poor gas mileage.
- Saves time: Saving time is essential to everyone. Maintaining your vehicle reduces the chance of being stuck on the road or in a parking lot because your car broke down.
- Keeps the vehicle’s value: When you keep your vehicle running well and regularly maintained, you can increase its value for when or if you decide to sell it. It is important to remember to keep all your vehicle’s repairs on record for the following driver for when you are ready to move on.
Alexandria Car Accident Lawyers at the Law Offices of Duane O. King Help Accident Victims Injured by Negligent Drivers
If you have been injured in a car accident because of the negligence of another motorist, contact our Alexandria car accident lawyers at the Law Offices of Duane O. King. Call us today at 202-331-1963 or fill out our online form for a free consultation. Located in Washington, D.C., Alexandria, and Falls Church, Virginia, we serve clients in Prince George’s County, including Laurel, Beltsville, Adelphi, College Park, Greenbelt, Mitchellville, Woodmore, Greater Upper Marlboro, Springdale, Largo, Bowie, Capitol Heights, District Heights, Forestville, Suitland, Seat Pleasant, Clinton, Oxon Hill, Temple Hills, and Fort Washington.