Holidays and Drunk Driving Accidents
Millions of Americans across the country are gearing up for holiday travel. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, 40 percent of highway deaths during the holiday season are alcohol-related, compared to 29 percent during the rest of the year. The period between Thanksgiving and New Year’s Eve is the busiest time of the year for travelers and the most dangerous due to alcohol consumption. If you are planning on drinking during the holidays, you should not plan to drive until you are completely sobered up.
Holiday Drunk Driving Statistics
- During the holiday season, 1,200 people are killed every year in drunk driving accidents, while another 25,000 people are injured in alcohol-related accidents.
- There is a 48 percent increase in drunk driving violations on Christmas day and a 106 percent increase on New Year’s Eve.
Dangers of Drunk Driving
Drinking while under the influence of alcohol can have many negative effects on you, which include:
- Delayed reaction times. When alcohol is in your system, it slows down your ability to react. This can increase the likelihood of a car accident.
- Reduced concentration. Driving while under the influence of alcohol can impair your ability to keep your eyes focused on the road.
- Lack of coordination. Alcohol can have a negative effect on your hand, eye, and foot coordination. This may make it impossible to avoid a harmful situation.
- Impaired judgement. When alcohol is in your system, it impairs your ability to correctly judge situations. This can be incredibly dangerous when attempting to operate a moving vehicle.
Comparative negligence is a legal theory that reduces the amount of damages a plaintiff can recover in a negligence-based claim. Both Maryland Washington, D.C. follow this rule. If the injured person is responsible for their injuries in any way, they cannot recover damages. This is true no matter how severe their injuries are, even if they result in death.
Injuries Due to Drunk Driving
Injuries that may result due to drunk driving include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Severe burns
- Severed limbs
- Broken bones
- Neck and back injuries
- Paralysis or spinal cord damage
- Sprains and torn ligaments
Injuries can be catastrophic. It is important to seek the counsel of an experienced car accident lawyer to help defend your rights and obtain the compensation you deserve.
Washington DC Car Wreck Lawyers at the Law Offices of Duane O. King Represent Clients Injured in Drunk Driving Accidents
It is important to stay safe this holiday season and drink responsibly. However, this is not always the case, and accidents will happen due to alcohol consumption. If you were injured in a drunk driving accident, contact a Washington DC car wreck lawyer at the Law Offices of Duane O. King. Our experienced lawyers will fight to obtain the compensation you deserve for your injuries. For a free consultation, contact us online or call us at 202-331-1963. Located in Washington, DC, we represent clients throughout DC and Maryland.