Renting a Car? Here Are Some Safety Tips
Whether you are traveling for business or pleasure, keeping yourself safe is essential for completing a successful trip. With these simple steps, you can stay safe and potentially avoid a rental car accident:
- Be sure to do your research and read reviews of the rental car company before renting. This will help you avoid companies with bad safety records or poor customer service.
- Before getting behind the wheel, take some time to familiarize yourself with the basic features of the car and how to operate them safely. Buckle your seat belt, check your mirrors, turn on your headlights, and make sure you know how to operate the windshield wipers and headlights.
- Watch out for other drivers on the road who may be distracted or aggressive. Try to drive defensively at all times in order to protect yourself from potential hazards.
- Keep your gas tank at least half full when driving in unfamiliar areas, as this will help ensure that you always have enough fuel to get where you need to go without running into trouble along the way.
- If possible, try to travel with another person when renting a car so there is always someone else available to assist you if needed. Keep an eye on traffic conditions around you, especially if you are unfamiliar with the area.
- When parking your rental car in a busy area or while traveling alone, make sure that it is well-lit and visible from all angles so that no one can approach it unnoticed. Place valuables such as bags and electronics out of sight in the trunk or seat pockets while parked as well, just in case they are targeted by thieves while you are away from the vehicle.
- Always keep a mobile phone with you when renting a car so you can call for help if needed or contact roadside assistance. Additionally, make sure that emergency contacts like family members or friends know who to contact for help if you do not check in regularly while driving.
- Before leaving on your trip, take some time to review common safety practices for driving on different types of roads, as well as strategies for handling emergency situations, like tire blowouts or collisions. Being prepared ahead of time will help ensure that you know how to stay safe every step of the way when renting a car for your travels.
Washington DC Car Wreck Lawyers at the Law Offices of Duane O. King Can Assist With Your Rental Car Accident Case
Getting in a car accident can be traumatic and challenging, especially if you were in a rental car at the time of the wreck. Even if you do everything right on the road, you cannot avoid all accidents, so if you find yourself in one, you may need legal representation. Speak with one of our Washington DC car wreck lawyers at the Law Offices of Duane O. King. Call us at 202-331-1963 or complete our online form to schedule a free consultation. Located in Washington, D.C., Alexandria, Virginia, and National Harbor, Maryland, we serve clients in Prince George’s County, including Laurel, Beltsville, Adelphi, College Park, Greenbelt, Mitchellville, Woodmore, Greater Upper Marlboro, Springdale, Largo, Bowie, Capitol Heights, District Heights, Forestville, Suitland, Seat Pleasant, Clinton, Oxon Hill, Temple Hills, and Fort Washington.