Accidents happen during all times of the year but fall brings its own unique set of dangerous driving conditions. With fall quickly approaching, there are ways you can keep yourself and your passengers safe when operating a moving vehicle.
- Changing weather conditions. Fall is a season that brings rain, fog, and frosty conditions. When you are driving through fog, it is important to drive with your headlights low and to brake gently.
- Back to school. More cars and school buses will be on the road, and more children will be crossing streets now that school is back in session. It is important to pay close attention to increased pedestrian traffic, especially in the morning and afternoon.
- Leaves. Fall leaves can be a beautiful sight, but they can also cause dangerous road conditions, especially when wet. Leaves also have the possibility of hiding potholes and other road hazards.
- Deer. Deer breed in the fall season and tend to rush across the road unexpectantly, so it is important to drive slowly and use caution.
Staying Safe While Behind the Wheel
Although fall presents dangerous road hazards, there are ways to stay safe while driving, which include the following:
- Use caution when driving in rainy weather. When driving, be sure to stay a safe distance away from the car in front of you to avoid losing traction when braking. You should also avoid braking on leaves as much as possible since they can be slippery.
- Maintain your vehicle. Be sure to replace your windshield wiper blades if they seem old or worn down. You should also make sure your headlights are in proper working condition.
- Protect yourself from sun glare. Sunrises and sunsets can be intense during the fall season. To protect yourself from sun glare, you should always keep a pair of sunglasses in your car.
- Keep an eye out for black ice. Remember to drive slowly and brake gently when driving in frosty conditions.
DC Car Accident Lawyers at the Law Offices of Duane O. King Represent Clients Injured in Car Accidents
Car accidents can not only be a terrifying experience, they can also be confusing. If you or someone you know was injured in a car accident, contact a DC car accident lawyer at the Law Offices of Duane O. King. We will fight to obtain the compensation and peace of mind you deserve for your injuries. For a free consultation, contact us online or call us at 202-331-1963. Located in Washington, DC, we serve clients throughout DC and Maryland.