Car Accidents and Brain Injuries
A brain injury is a catastrophic injury that often occurs in a car wreck. When brain injuries do not prove fatal, they often require lengthy and expensive medical treatment. Those who have suffered a brain injury in a car accident due to someone else’s negligence may be entitled to various forms of compensation, including payment for medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
Types of Brain Injuries Caused by Car Accidents
Depending on the severity of the impact, heavy blows and jolts to the head may result in serious injuries or even death. Any type of car accident can cause brain injuries, however, those involving excessive speeds, drunk driving, and head-on collisions are more likely to cause serious or fatal injuries.
Motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of TBIs, according to the CDC. Some common types of brain injuries caused by car accidents include:
- Concussion: A concussion is a TBI caused by blunt impact or violent shaking of the head. Those who suffer a concussion may lose consciousness and may not show signs until days or weeks later. Symptoms include headaches, confusion, fatigue, nausea, and memory loss.
- Contusion: Also caused by impact trauma, a contusion causes bleeding in the brain. Potentially lethal blood clots may form at the site which may need to be surgically removed.
- Diffuse axonal injury: Shaking or rotational forces can cause diffuse axonal injuries in the brain. This type of injury tears the brain structures, often resulting in death, coma, or disruption of various brain and bodily functions.
- Penetrating injury: This type of TBI occurs when an object penetrates the skull and enters the brain. Those who survive penetrating injuries often suffer significant, long-term effects.
- Bleeding: Car accidents may cause bleeding in the brain, such as a traumatic subarachnoid hemorrhage, which is bleeding in the space surrounding the brain that occurs when small arteries tear. When blood thickens and clots, it may form a hematoma which may need to be removed in surgery depending on its size.
March Is National Brain Injury Awareness Month
The Brain Injury Association of America (BIAA) is conducting its annual public awareness campaign in March. The purpose of the campaign is to educate the public about brain injuries and promote support for those with brain injuries and their families. The BIAA encourages everyone to help spread brain injury awareness.
Obtaining Compensation for Car Accident Brain Injuries
Those who have suffered a car accident brain injury may be able to collect damages from the at-fault party. Under Washington, D.C.’s no-fault laws, the injured party must file a claim with their own insurance under their personal injury protection (PIP) coverage first, unless the injuries are severe and permanent. The amount of compensation available varies.
Washington, D.C. Car Wreck Lawyers at the Law Offices of Duane O. King Advocate for Brain Injury Victims
If you sustained a brain injury in a car accident, contact one of our knowledgeable Washington, D.C. car wreck lawyers at the Law Offices of Duane O. King for legal guidance. Our lawyers will evaluate your case and determine if you are eligible for compensation. If you would like to schedule a free consultation, contact us online or call us at 202-331-1963 today. Located in Washington, D.C., we also serve clients throughout Maryland.